The damages of emotional deprivation can affect a person’s psyche and affection, so a person feels emotional deprivation or emotional hunger when he feels a sense of emptiness, he cannot get his feelings out, and he does not know the truth about the feelings of others towards him, so it can be said that emotional deprivation is the disappearance of the feeling of love, affection and interest in a person from Other people, which affects the person negatively, and causes him psychological and physical complications that affect him and his life, so it is necessary to know the strategies and steps that help overcome emotional deprivation, in order to follow them in a correct way, and any person may be affected by emotional deprivation, whether it is a child, adolescent or girl Or a man, so all individuals must be made aware of this problem to find an appropriate solution to it.
The effects of emotional deprivation
Emotional deprivation may affect a person since his childhood. If he suffers from emptiness and emotional deprivation since his childhood, it may affect him in his future life and cause him many damages, which are as follows:
Transforming the individual into an aggressive character
When a child is exposed to emotional deprivation, this affects him from the psychological aspect, and affects the formation of his personality and physical development, and he may turn into an aggressive personality that hates society, and he may turn into a personality that is hostile to all people, and all people are considered enemies of him.
Therefore, emotional deprivation can be a great danger to the individual, his family, and the entire society.
A person’s intelligence is negatively affected
The family love and tenderness that any child wants in his youth greatly affects the child’s intelligence. If the individual suffers from emotional deprivation from his childhood, this may affect his mental and physical structure, and he may suffer from cognitive problems and the development of his mental abilities.
Be a psychological contract for a person
Emotional deprivation can lead to the emergence of many psychological complexes and problems in children and adults, and the severity of psychological knots may vary, according to the percentage of emotional deprivation that the child suffered in his childhood.
Emotional deprivation can cause anxiety, stress and lack of self-confidence in children and adults, in addition to some behavioral disorders and social isolation.
Children who are exposed to emotional deprivation, may have their growth affected and develop a developmental disability, they may be 10% shorter than their friends.
The effects of emotional deprivation in psychology
In psychology, it has been proven that people who experience emotional deprivation in their youth suffer from feelings of loneliness, bitterness, depression and sadness throughout their lives, but do not realize the true reasons behind these feelings.
In adulthood, a person’s emotional deprivation becomes transformed, so that he does not expect any help or protection from people, or even does not expect anyone to understand him, because he cannot express his feelings emotionally.
People after puberty do not expect to feel love and affection from others, for them all these meanings do not mean anything at all, they may feel weak if they need someone.
These feelings that people face during different stages of their lives lead them in the long run to feel that they are not of any importance, and this causes a huge gap between them and the society and the people around them.
Types of emotional deprivation
The damages of emotional deprivation negatively affect the lives of people, but it must be known that emotional deprivation is divided into three types, and they are:
- Deprivation of contact with others: This is done by the person feeling that there are no people who support him or pay attention to his interests, and give him physical affection.
- And deprivation of protection: In this type, the individual suffers from the absence of anyone in his life to protect him and guide him in the right actions.
- Deprivation of empathy: This deprivation is represented in the absence of all interested persons to hear the individual, so he feels that there is no one who cares about his feelings or understands him.
Emotional deprivation of youth
When a young man feels a state of emotional deprivation, he turns to the world of illusions and dreams, and he has a desire to escape from the reality around him, and he surrenders and enters the world of loss, such as eating drugs and entering into suspicious relationships, he thinks that these things will solve his problems and compensate him for emotional deprivation and meet his desires.
Therefore, it must be realized that the damages of emotional deprivation greatly affect young people, as they have great energy and different interests, they need someone to direct them to useful things and important programs to develop their talents and get rid of their enormous energy.
Symptoms of emotional deprivation
It may be difficult for many to determine whether a person suffers from emotional deprivation, especially in the beginning, because there are no clear signs, but after a while it becomes clear to people and appears as if something is missing to them, but they cannot understand these feelings, so you can know the signs that indicate Emotional deprivation, which are as follows:
- The emergence of a problem when relying on other individuals.
- Always feeling something missing in life.
- The absence of any special people or lovers of the individual in his environment.
- The individual does not express his feelings and emotions since his childhood.
- Parents distance from the person during childhood.
- The inability of the individual to understand what he feels or what he needs.
- Loss of emotional closeness and psychological support from anyone.
- Feelings of loneliness and uneasiness while facing different societal situations.
- The individual does not allow his feelings to appear.
- Constant feeling of anxiety and fear of hurting people’s feelings.
- The person is overly sensitive to criticism and insults.
- Feeling suspicious when feeling reassured, comfortable and tender, for fear of hidden motives.
- Constant sense of guilt and inferiority.
Methods of treating emotional deprivation in children and adults
After identifying the damages of emotional deprivation , the psychological treatment plan must be known to get rid of this feeling, and it relies on two important axes, namely:
In these sessions, the psychiatrist talks with the adult or child, and teaches him how to understand his feelings, and the correct way to express them.
Psychotherapy sessions are useful for these people, in order to get rid of their emotional depression, and to understand their feelings in a correct way.
During this treatment, the psychiatrist sits with all family members, and explains to them the negative impact they leave on the child’s psyche as a result of emotional neglect, in addition to showing them the most important ways that help them understand the child’s feelings and the way to satisfy him emotionally.
The doctor may suggest that the parents join an educational course, to help them raise their children in a good way.
How to get rid of emotional deprivation
To avoid the damages of emotional deprivation and get rid of it permanently, here are the following tips to help you overcome this situation:
- Read more books and articles on emotional deprivation, and increase your awareness.
- Express buried feelings and emotional needs.
- Understand your emotional needs, but avoid being hard on yourself.
- Knowing yourself better, and this is possible by writing about yourself more.
- Surround yourself with people who understand and support you psychologically.
- Follow modern methods and methods to adapt to your daily problems.
- Avoid long periods of isolation, and interact with others.
- Start by compensating yourself for emotional deprivation , and don’t wait for anyone.
- Not being afraid of failure, this is normal for gaining knowledge and learning.
At the end of the article, and after identifying the damages and negatives of emotional deprivation on a person, you must realize that emotional deprivation is like a black hole that attracts you towards it in order to fill it, but this hole is insatiable, so try yourself to get rid of it so that it does not control your life.
Leave a Comment