What is the criterion for declaring a
heat wave in india?
Heatwave and dehydration: Risks and complications that could occur; precautions to take
Heatwave alert: Tips to keep skin safe against sun damage during summers
Young and old are equally susceptible to heat wave-related illnesses. However, the heat can become fatal if proper precautions are not taken. In recent years, excessive heat has caused more deaths than all other weather events, including floods.
Here are ten heat wave hacks to help you
- STAY HYDRATED – Drinking plenty of
water, even when not thirsty is vital. Water helps replenish the lost fluids and salts the body loses in the form of sweat. Always have a bottle of water around you to keep sipping from.
- AVOID GREASY
FOOD†Indulging in a large, oily, calorie-rich diet should be avoided in summers. It can increase metabolic heat and warm the body, increasing its temperature. try some coldbrew shakes made from a variety of fresh berries; to fetch the protein that the body needs to keep overheating. Also, consume fruits with high water content.
- MINIMIZE MAKEUP – Extreme summers are the worst time for any type of skin. Using minimal makeup and beauty products is advisable to keep the skin clean and healthy. Also, it is a good idea to keep the creams and other products like lipsticks in the refrigerator so that they don’t get spoiled and give a cool sensation when applied. Also, always wear good SPF sunscreen, even when indoors.
- AVOID ALCOHOL – Alcohol and other caffeinated drinks can cause severe dehydration. Consumption of sugary drinks like cold drinks, tea, coffee, and energy drinks should also be limited. However, fresh lemon water, bel sharbat, and coconut water should be consumed to cool down the body.
- STAY INDOORS – During the hottest part of the day (12 noon-4 pm) make sure to stay indoors to limit direct exposure to the blazing hot
sun† Avoid strenuous activities like outdoor games, exercise, etc. during this period.
- TAKE CARE OF VENTILATION – Keep the living area well ventilated with fans and coolers. If there are no air conditioners, keep a dish filled with ice under the fan to help cool the room instantly.
- WEAR COTTON CLOTHES – Wear loose-fitting, airy, light-coloured clothes made of natural fibers or breathable material like cotton etc. Tight clothing traps heat.
- USE A DIY COLD MIST SPRAY – If your body feels overheated, keep a wet washcloth on the wrists and neck or take a cool sponge. Always carry a cold water bottle spray or cooling facial mist and spritz it on your pressure points to bring your body temperature down.
- INDULGE IN COLD FOOT BATH – Putting your feet in cold water for a few minutes every day to bring down the body temperature is one of the best hacks you can use this summer.
- USE ESSENTIAL OILS: Peppermint and Spearmint Essential oils contain menthol which has cooling properties. Add a few drops to your diffuser at home to cool the environment.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be constructed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness program or making any changes to your diet.
Water – How much hydration is good enough for the body?
India vs South Africa: Drinks break after 10 overs to be taken to combat extreme heat – Report