The benefits of citronella oil are multiple. It is one of the famous essential oils, which is extracted from “Cymbopogon Nardus”, a type of lemongrass . Citronella oil is obtained through the long thin leaves of Simbo Pogon by steam distillation. It is a sweet and refreshing oil that smells like citrus. Citronella oil is also one of the most widely used essential oils in aromatherapy. This is because of its multiple benefits for health, skin and hair.
Citronella oil benefits
Citronella oil is one of the wonderful oils that has many uses in the areas of health, skin care and hair as well. Because of its special properties, here are some of the many benefits of citronella oil.
1- Health benefits of citronella oil
- Citronella oil is considered a natural deworming agent, as it can eliminate harmful organisms “worms” from the stomach, small intestine and large intestine. And therefore used in the treatment of loss of appetite .
- It acts as a natural detoxifier that helps the body get rid of harmful toxins. And sometimes prevents it from being active in the body. This oil helps increase sweat production in the body and facilitates detoxification by eliminating excess fats, oils, salt and uric acid from the body.
- It can also help treat various bone problems such as osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other common orthopedic problems.
- Citronella oil acts as a natural diuretic, and regular use of citronella oil can boost urine production and this helps eliminate toxins faster. In addition, it helps maintain the health of the kidneys and also effectively rid the body and blood of toxins.
- Citronella essential oil is very useful in treating problems related to fluid retention in the body, as it maintains the water balance within the body and helps to stay away from cramps or stomach muscle spasms, which helps maintain the health of the digestive system and stomach.
- It can be used as a great pain reliever, whether it is muscle pain or joint pain. You can put 3 drops of citronella oil on the area where you feel pain and notice its magical effect in getting rid of the pain. It is advised to first mix citronella oil with any other carrier oil before massaging with it.
Other benefits of citronella oil
- Citronella oil has anti-inflammatory properties, as it works to calm internal inflammations “in the digestive system, stomach and intestines” that may be caused by some medications or any other external influence. The best thing about citronella oil is that it works fast and relieves pain and inflammation completely.
- Like all other essential oils, citronella oil has strong antiseptic, antimicrobial and antifungal properties, so it helps reduce the chances of infection both in internal and external injuries and helps wounds heal faster.
- Citronella oil also acts as an antidepressant as it helps people get rid of depression , sadness, anxiety and stress as well. This characteristic is due to its distinctive aroma, which brings on the person a sense of freshness and happiness.
- Citronella oil has a pleasant citrus or lemon scent, and is effective in eliminating body odors. You can mix a few drops of citronella oil with your bath water so that you get a wonderful and refreshing scent for your body.
2- Benefits of citronella oil for the skin
In addition to its wonderful benefits for the health of the body in general, citronella oil offers many health benefits for the skin, which include:
- Keeping the body system clean and pure due to its detoxifying properties and this is clearly reflected on the skin. By using citronella oil you can get healthy and glowing skin.
- The antibacterial properties of citronella oil help get rid of skin infections such as acne, boils, pimples, and others. It also has antiseptic properties that prevent the spread of infection in wounds and superficial injuries, and this helps wounds heal faster.
- Applying citronella oil to the skin can help the skin to a great extent. Citronella oil helps improve skin tone, makes it smoother and effectively tightens pores. Due to the benefits of citronella oil for the skin, it is used in many skin care products, including sunscreens , acne creams, and other cosmetics.
- Citronella oil is also used as a good insect repellent, and it can be applied to the skin to avoid insect bites, which prevents these bites, allergies and infections.
3- Benefits of citronella oil for hair
- Citronella oil for hair is used to control the oil on the scalp. It can be used as a spray placed on the hair and is very effective in eliminating excess oil and fat in the hair.
- In addition to its moisturizing properties of the scalp and oily hair , it helps to soften the hair and calm the itching that appears due to dandruff.
- You can mix citronella oil with your shampoo to increase hair volume. It also helps to get rid of split ends and detangles effectively.
Tips for using citronella oil
Before using citronella oil, there are some tips to be followed before using it:
- Dilute citronella oil properly before use.
- Essential oils are usually very concentrated and can cause some damage to the skin.
- Citronella oil is for external use only.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult your doctor first before using it or applying it to the skin.